April is STD Awareness Month—a good time to review the facts about sexually transmitted diseases in South Florida. Although many people with STDs have no symptoms, STDs can cause a variety of clinical syndromes. That’s why STD testing in Fort Lauderdale, FL is important. STDs include chlamydia infection, gonorrhea, genital warts (HPV) herpes, syphilis, trichomoniasis, hepatitis B, hepatitis C and HIV/AIDS.
Come to All Female Healthcare for STD Testing in Fort Lauderdale, FL
Understanding the symptoms of STDs and how they are transmitted is the first step to early treatment and prevention. Here are a few facts about STDs:
- In women, STDs can lead to long-term pain, cancer, infertility, and ectopic pregnancy (pregnancy outside the womb)
- Your risk of getting an STD begins the first time you have sex.
- Multiple partners will increase your risk of getting an STD
- Mothers can pass STDs on to their babies before, during or after birth
- Some STDs are incurable and stay with you for life
- Intravenous (IV) drug users who share needles or syringes
can spread some STDs through blood
If caught early, most STDs are easily treated. Unfortunately, many women do not seek medical treatment because they have no symptoms and may not be aware that they have become infected. Other people have symptoms but don’t go to a doctor or clinic because they feel embarrassed or do not realize their symptoms are a warning sign of a severe infection. Untreated STDs can lead to severe health problems and may even result in death. Also, when left untreated, they are likely to continue spreading from one person to another.
You should not avoid STD testing in Fort Lauderdale, FL because of you may feel embarrassed. If you come into our office at All Female Healthcare, you will be treated with professionalism. We work hard to make our patient feel comfortable. If you have questions, we will answer them. Remember, your test results are confidential.